Kathleen acts as counsel to municipalities, developers and individuals on a variety of municipal matters, including contract and bylaw drafting and enforcement as well as planning and development matters. She maintains a general civil litigation practice. Kathleen is solution-oriented and works with her clients to advance their cause.
Kathleen received her Bachelor of Commerce with First Class Standing from the University of Alberta and her Juris Doctor with Distinction from the University of Toronto.
She articled with Stikeman Elliott LLP in Toronto. She was admitted to the Ontario bar in June 2016. She clerked with the Honorable Justice Slatter of the Alberta Court of Appeal from May 2016 to April 2017. She was admitted to the Alberta bar in May 2017 and joined a mid-size Edmonton firm practicing in civil litigation. In August 2018, Ms. Elhatton-Lake joined Shores Jardine as an Associate and in January 2021, she became a Partner.
Kathleen practices in the areas of administrative law, municipal law and general civil litigation. She has appeared in Provincial Court, the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta and the Court of Appeal of Alberta as well as a variety of administrative tribunals. She joined Shores Jardine as an Associate in August, 2018 and as partner in January 2021.
- 2021 – Present, Canadian Bar Association, Co-Chair Municipal Law North
- 2021 – Present, Volunteer Presenter with DirectHer
- 2017 – Present, Board Member of the YWCA of Edmonton, currently President of the Board
- 2020 – Canadian Bar Association, Co-Chair Law Day
- 2018 & 2019 – Canadian Bar Association, Coordinator for the Judge Janet Franklin High School Mock Trials, 2018
Education & Call To The Bar
- 2017 – Admitted to Law Society of Alberta
- 2016 – Admitted to Law Society of Ontario
- 2015 – Juris Doctor with Distinction, University of Toronto
- 2012 – Bachelor of Commerce, University of Alberta
Away From The Office
When not at work, Kathleen enjoys practicing yoga, snuggling dogs, reading and pursuing the best possible baked good in the city.
Meet the Team
William (Bill) W. Shores, K.C.
David N. Jardine
Craig D. Boyer
Gwendolyn J. Stewart-Palmer, K.C.
Annabritt N. Chisholm
M. Joseph Redman
Amin Ben Khaled